A three-year-old girl left her mother heartbroken after she asked if her gravely ill younger brother was going to die.
Arlo Jack Upton, a two-year-old from Brisbane, tragically passed away on November 1 following a dramatic 48-hour illness.
Kate and Ross Upton, the parents of the toddler, initially were told by doctors their son had contracted a virus.
Inexplicably, Arlo suffered a seizure and died 48 hours later.
The toddler first displayed signs of illness when he started coughing on October 27, just before the family headed out celebrate Halloween.
A devastated couple are urging other parents to trust their gut instincts after their son (pictured) died unexpectedly just days after his second birthday
The toddler first showed signs of illness when he started coughing on October 27, just before the family headed out to Halloween festivities
By the following afternoon Arlo had developed a temperature and was vomiting.
The couple urgently made an appointment with their local GP only to be told it was a virus and be sent away with painkillers.
While his temperature did reduce, little Arlo developed a worrying rash.
He was refusing to eat and his body temperature hit almost 40C, and wouldn’t go down despite taking Panadol and Nurofen.
Mr Upton stayed home with him on Monday, October 29, when the parents decided to take him to another doctor, who also said the virus would pass.
The worried mum and dad also took Arlo to a community centre but for a third time were given the same incorrect diagnosis and advice.
From that point, events took a tragic turn.
Arlo turned blue around his mouth and his family frantically called an ambulance.
His condition deteriorated rapidly and he was placed on life support after going into cardiac arrest.
The ambulance stopped to pick up more nearby paramedics, with eight medics treating the youngster at one stage.
‘It went from OK to bad, really quick,’ Mrs Upton, 34, told 9 News.
Medics initially felt Arlo could be suffering from sepsis, however when they brought him into hospital they re-diagnosed him as having a gene mutation called LPIN1 deficiency, resulting in acute skeletal muscle damage.
At one point his parents were told Arlo might have to have his fingers or toes amputated to save him, but it was too late.
Mrs Upton is now advising all parents to go with their gut instinct regarding their child falling ill and recommends taking children to see a doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’
Arlo suffered a seizure at 5.30am on Thursday, November 1 and was pronounced dead later that day.
‘It was the only option. His brain had swollen. He was almost unrecognisable,’ Mrs Upton said.
‘We spent a few hours singing to him, cuddling him and talking to him before they took the ventilator off.’
Mrs Upton is now advising all parents go with their gut instinct regarding their child falling ill and also recommended seeing a doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’.
If an autopsy reveals Arlo did have a gene mutation, his parents and sister will undergo testing to see if they also carry the condition.